High level of investment ensures future success
Geberit’s innovative strength, which is above average for the sector, is founded on its own, wide-ranging research and development (R&D) activities. In the reporting year, a total of CHF 77.8 million (previous year CHF 72.3 million) – or 2.7% of net sales – was invested in the development and improvement of processes, products and technologies. Additionally, as part of the investments in property, plant and equipment and intangible assets, considerable sums were invested in tools and equipment for the production of newly developed products. Over the last financial year, Geberit applied for 32 patents, bringing the total for the last five years to 128.
(in CHF million)
|In % of net sales||2.5||2.7||2.4||2.6||2.7|
All product developments go through an established innovation and development process, which ensures that the Group’s creative potential and know-how are used to the optimum extent and that development activities focus on the needs of the market. Customer benefits and a system approach are of central importance here. Since the beginning of 2016, the development projects for ceramic products and bathroom equipment have also been following this process.
New products for sophisticated markets
The following products were newly launched on the market in 2017:
- The shower toilet Geberit AquaClean Tuma Comfort stands out due to its sophisticated product concept and elegant design. It is offered as a complete solution including a rimless WC ceramic appliance. Alternatively, it is also available as a WC enhancement solution that can be combined with previously installed ceramic appliances, making it a particularly good solution for rented flats.
- The shower surface Geberit Setaplano is made of a high-quality solid surface material. It feels warm, is non-slip and easy to clean. To simplify the work at the building site and ensure reliable sealing, as many components as possible are preassembled at the plant. New, ultra-flat traps were developed for the shower surface.
- The new, modular tap system features sophisticated installation technology, a convincing energy concept and elegant tap housings for the wall-mounted and deck-mounted taps. The taps can be mounted quickly and flawlessly. The mixer, valves, electronics and power supply are stored in a function box, which is mounted under the washbasin where it is protected from moisture.
- The competitively priced new supply system Volex consists of multilayer pipes and brass pressfittings. It is suitable for drinking water as well as heating installations. The range, which was introduced in the expansion markets in Europe, comprises all standard pipe diameters and fittings.
- The comprehensive bathroom series Acanto comprises washbasins and bathroom furniture, rimless toilets, bidets and bathtubs. The bathroom furniture offers a wide range of possibilities for creating a functionally sophisticated bathroom. The bathroom series was developed based on an extensive study that examined the optimum reach within which things used every day should be stored.
For more details on new products in 2017, see the magazine Facts & Figures 2017.
Several new product launches are planned for 2018. Among them will be:
- The new Geberit AquaClean Tuma Classic builds on the success of the Tuma Comfort model, which was launched in the previous year. However, this new model is limited to the basic functions of a shower toilet, including the patented WhirlSpray shower technology and a rimless WC ceramic appliance. It therefore complements the shower toilet range as a perfect entry-level model. The AquaClean Tuma Classic is also available as an enhancement solution that can be easily fitted to previously installed WC ceramic appliances. Because it can be easily retrofitted, the enhancement solution is a particularly good solution for rented flats.
- The launch of the VariForm washbasin portfolio sees Geberit add a more systematic approach and diversity to the range for public and private washbasin areas. The washbasins stand out due to their generous basin depth and high-quality ceramics. They are available in the four basic shapes round, oval, elliptic and rectangular, with a lay-on, countertop and under-countertop model available for each shape.
- The Rapid sanitary flush unit automatically flushes unused sections of drinking water pipes, thus preventing water from stagnating over a longer period. After all, if the water in a pipe section stagnates for too long, germs and bacteria such as legionella can multiply there, which can develop into a health risk.
- The modular control system for underfloor heating systems is fully compatible with the Volex piping system, which was launched in the previous year. The control system consists of a central controller, various room thermostats and temperature sensors as well as all other components required to install an underfloor heating system in residential properties or business premises.
- The Showerama shower cubicles for the Scandinavian markets were revised and modernised with regard to design and technical aspects. The elegant cubicles, which are now equipped with Geberit’s tried-and-tested drainage technology, offer customers a very ergonomic and comfortable showering experience.
For more details on new products in 2018, see the magazine Facts & Figures 2018.